Monday, June 25, 2007

Woods Sketch

Saturday was spent in the woods visiting with members of the canine search and rescue unit of which I was once a member. This sketch done while we talked was the result. Now that I look at the sketch it turned out better than I thought at the time. While the items in the fore ground are not as realized as they should be the back ground, I think, works well. It was interesting to figure out just how much to do to convey the density of the forest while keeping it generalized and light enough to remain in the back ground. I spent the most time on the stump in the front right and it's the part I'm least happy with.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I am totally finding myself feeling like I am in the woods when I look at this. I think it is because you did a great job on the background. You are right about the difficulty of drawing only enough of the background to give the feeling of being in the woods, while not giving it too much attention since that isn't the focus of the drawing. Although, on the flip side, it is the focus of the drawing. You gave the title "Woods Sketch" Your focus was the woods. Also, I like the stump in the foreground because it helps set the scene and it looks like an old stump from a tree that didn't make it. The shading and perspective work for it well. I also think the car looks good.