Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Gardening!

 I've been threatening to put in a garden for years. Well, looking at the mess we've made of our country and being pessimistic about our ability to pull ourselves out of this tail spin, I've finally started working on a garden so that we can at least feed ourselves.  Above is a photo of the location taken two days ago. I've put it on the hill to the north of the existing house. There's a lot of sunshine there and water nearby.  The next step is to fence the area off so that as my crops grow they aren't eaten by the local animals.


Today, I took a rake up to the garden and removed all the grass that the rototiller chewed up.  Tomorrow I'll drag enough hoses to bring water down to the patch and set up a sprinkler. After the ground gets a chance to rehydrate it'll be time to till in compost from the barn.

Of course, I had to rest after all that raking and what better way than to do a little sketching.

No comments: